The old factory buildings of the spinn mill in Oberwaltersdorf are undergoing a revitalisatin by turning it into 23 lofts, accompanied by several small commercial units, such as bakery, restaurant, etc. The building approval including the approval by the monument protection institute was granted for all the renovation work and the extensions (5 penthouse apartments on top) by the end of 2012. The complete project work will be performed by the new founded LLC „Alte Spinnerei Projektentwicklungs GmbH“
Project start: end 2013
Outside completion, ready for inside completion by the buyer: mid 2015
Sale of indivdual lofts: starting springtime 2014
For details to each single loft, time tables, selling price, reservations, etc. please visit www.altespinnerei.at (page still in progress, ready by end of 2013).
The history of the spinning mill:
- 1819 Purchase of the lot by the brothers Franz and Michael Gradner and Franz Girardoni
- 1822 Completion of the factory construction, operating with 27 spinning machines
- 1848 boom time for spinneries in Austria, 253 employees in the spinning mill
- 1856 purchased by company Josef Boschan and sons
- 1895 new erected steam machine house
- 1897 partly destroyed by fire
- 1898 factory purchased by the company “Österreichische Actien-Gesellschaft für Gummi Industrie” (Austrian LC for rubber industry); but there was never a rubber related production.
- 1905 company A. Rudolph purchased the factory and started a braiding- edging- and laces production
- 1938 Government of Austria took over ownership
- 1942 textile production stopped. Army production started.
- 1945 all activities and production stopped. Since then the buildings were underused.